Activities and Outings Helper - Tate House
- Yorkshire and Humber
Are you friendly and outgoing?
We are looking someone to help out with activities and outings for our blind and partially sighted residents.
Activities could include quizzes, bingo, music, crosswords, a social outing or simply having a chat and helping with basic tasks such as reading.
An Enhanced DBS check will be required for this role.
What will I be doing?
- Helping to set up and run existing activity sessions, and developing and delivering new activities.
- Having a chat and providing company to our residents
- Reading and helping with correspondence
- Acting as a sighted guide when attending appointments, shopping and other outings
- Advising on services that they may benefit from, and encouraging them to get involved in activities
What skills and qualities can I bring to this role?
- Good communication skills
- Enthusiastic and friendly
- An empathy with elderly blind or partially sighted people
- An understanding of confidentiality
- Flexible and reliable
When will I be needed?
Tate house has a very flexible approach to this and we do not specify set hours. Volunteers give as much time as they feel able to as all our activities are on-going. We only ask that volunteers give us notice if they are unable to come in.
RNIB Tate house, 28 Wetherby Road, Harrogate, HG2 7SA
What will I gain from the role?
- Experience working with older people in a care home setting
- Personal satisfaction from knowing you are making a difference to the lives of blind and partially sighted older people
- An insight into the issues affecting blind and partially sighted people
- An opportunity to meet new people
- Regular volunteer social events
What support will I be given?
- Understanding Sight Loss Pack
- Expenses – all out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed including expenses to attend training
- Supervision and support from your volunteer manager/ co-ordinator
To apply for this role, please complete and return the Volunteering application form (Word 166 KB) to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like the application form in a different format (such as standard print, large print, braille or audio) or if you have any general enquiries, please contact the Volunteering Team on: 0845 603 0575 or 01733 375 450 or email email@example.com.