If you’ve experienced changes in your sight or have been diagnosed with an eye condition, and you’re concerned about driving, this page explains what you need to do and what your options are. 

Talk to an eye specialist

The first thing you should do if you have experienced changes to your sight or have been diagnosed with an eye condition, is to visit an Ophthalmologist. They will be able to measure your level of sight and tell you whether this means you can drive or not.

Contact DVLA

After you have seen an ophthalmologist, you will need to contact the Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

You must tell the DVLA about any past or current condition affecting your eyes. They will then need to find out more about your condition and if you meet basic eyesight requirements for driving. The DVLA may then let you keep your licence, issue you a new licence for a limited time or take your licence away.

We have more information about what happens after you contact the DVLA. Download our Driving and sight loss factsheet

Getting around without driving

If you do have to give up driving, there are still plenty of ways of getting around by train, bus and taxi.

RNIB online shop

Shop online for a wide range of products that you need to remain independent. From talking scales to tactile labels, mobile phones to magnifiers, we can help you keep doing the things you love.

Online shop