IT Specialist Volunteer
- East Midlands
Would you like to use your expertise to help blind and partially sighted people to resolve IT problems? We are looking for someone to join our Technology Support Squad to provide a wide range of help on people's home computers and tablets. This could include troubleshooting hardware, software, internet connections, carrying out a computer overhaul or resolving a computer malfunction.
An enhanced DBS check will be required for this role
What will I be doing?
- Identifying computer problems and finding a suitable solution
- Interacting with blind and partially sighted people to support their IT development, if required
- Conducting computer health checks
- Installing new hardware, software and upgrades
- Sharing your knowledge, skills and experiences with other members of the Technology Support Squad
What skills and qualities can I bring to this role?
- Expertise in IT and technology
- Ability to find innovative solutions using your own initiative
- Ability to communicate problems and their solutions
- Willingness to learn about sight loss technology
- Friendliness, enthusiasm and reliability
- Willingness to travel locally to visit blind and partially sighted people
When will I be needed?
The hours are flexible and whatever time you can give to help is appreciated. When a customer needs help in your area a co-ordinator will contact you with details and you will organise a suitable date and time for you and the customer.
Where will I be volunteering?
Home based with travel to customers home, access to telephone and email is required.
What will I gain from the role?
- A sense of satisfaction from helping to improve the independence of blind and partially sighted people
- The opportunity to network and share knowledge with other members of the Technology Support Squad across the country
- Meeting new people in your area
- The opportunity to expand your IT skills
What support will I be given?
- Understanding sight loss pack
- Access to RNIB Technical support
- Supervision and support from your co-ordinator
- Expenses - all out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed including expenses to attend training
To apply for this role, please complete and return the Volunteering application form (Word 166 KB) to email@example.com. If you would like the application form in a different format (such as standard print, large print, braille or audio) or if you have any general enquiries, please contact the Volunteering Team on: 0845 603 0575 or 01733 375 450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.