Events in Northern Ireland
Museums in Focus
The Museums in Focus project brings 'A Sense of the Past' exhibition and accompanying book, on its NI-wide tour.
'A Sense of the Past' explores the social history of blindness in Northern Ireland from the 1800's, through war time to the present day.
About the project
The Museums in Focus project, funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, supports the museums hosting the exhibition, to fully engage with their blind or partially sighted visitors.
RNIB NI will deliver an awareness training course to staff at each venue to increase knowledge and skills of the staff working directly with blind and partially sighted customers. Each museum will also acquire a set of Penfriend audio labelling devices to make future exhibitions accessible.
A best practice video will be created to demonstrate the 'perfect visit' to a museum for people with sight loss. This will be hosted on http://www.sensoryengagement.com and can be used as a training and learning tool for other museums and exhibition venues.
Venues and dates
- Larne Museum & Arts Centre, 1 April - 30 May 2014
- The Braid, Ballymena, 2 June - 31 July 2014
- Roe Valley Arts & Cultural Centre, 1 August – 26 September 2014
- Museum at the Mill, 1 October – 27 November 2014
- Craigavon Museum, Lough Neagh Discovery Centre, 5 January – 27 February 2015
- Ballymoney Museum, 2 March – 30 April 2015
- Coleraine Museum, 1 May – 30 June 2015
Additional dates will be announced soon.
Tel: 028 9032 9373
Find local services and organisations that help blind and partially sighted people in the UK.Search Sightline