- Post date:
- Friday, 13 May 2016
These make a delicious alternative to traditional pancakes for Shrove Tuesday. They’re great topped with poached or scrambled eggs, and also make a tasty alternative served with soup instead of bread. Spice up your pancakes by adding half a teaspoon of turmeric and one teaspoon of curry powder to the mixture.
You can find this and other diabetic-friendly recipes at diabetes.org.uk
Ingredients for 12 pancakes:
- 450g (1lb) floury potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 50g (1.8oz) self-raising flour
- 2 egg whites
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a little oil, for frying
Tags Best of Connect
- Boil the potatoes for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash well or pass through a potato ricer. Leave to cool completely, then stir through the beaten eggs, nutmeg and flour and season well.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then gently fold through the potato mixture. Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the mixture in spoonfuls and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Place on a piece of kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil, then serve.