Events, training and networks
Do you want to update your knowledge? Our courses and networking opportunities will help you include children and young people with a vision impairment.
We offer lots of opportunities to update your knowledge and network with colleagues both virtually and face to face.
Understanding visual impairment in children and young people
- Designed to support professionals and parents to improve the quality of learning opportunities available to children and young people with vision impairment.
- You set your own pace.
- Delivered online.
- Includes assessment activities leading to an RNIB certificate.
- Cost: £140
- Understanding visual impairment in children and young people course summary (Word, 172 KB)
- Understanding visual impairment in children and young people - course application form (Word, 260 KB)
Partners in Learning course
- BTEC course (level 3) developed between RNIB and the Open University.
- Uses a blended learning approach of online study and discussion activities.
- Includes two face-to-face training days.
- Consists of six units studied over 12 months (as part of a group so plenty of contact with others).
- Begins September 2015.
- Cost: £700
- Partners in Learning course information (Word, 21 KB)
- Partners in Learning application form (Word, 40 KB)
National Transition Conference: 1 July 2015 (Birmingham)
Pathways through transition: life after compulsory education for young people with vision impairment
Taking place at the University of Birmingham, this one-day conference focusing on the real life experiences of blind and partially sighted young people as they work through the journey from school into further/higher education and into the world of living and working independently. Cost: £95
Find out more and book your place now by downloading the conference overview and completing the application form below:
- National Transition Conference Overview (Word, 389KB)
- National Transition Conference Booking Form (Word, 291KB)
Join our VITAL network (Visual Impairment Touches All Learning)
Online discussion forums
Vision Impairment Forum (VI Forum)
- VI Forum information (Word, 166KB)
- VI Forum forum message guidelines (Word, 122KB)
- VI Forum Acceptable Use Policy (Word, 124KB)
Join VI forum now or for further information contact the VI Forum Moderator, Juliette Taylor by emailing Juliette.email@example.com
Our recently launched online discussion forum aims to provide an opportunity for you to share best practice and discuss issues specifically relating to the teaching and supporting of learners who have the most severe vision impairment and are, or are likely to be, braille users. For further information about the forum, please download the below documents:
- Teachbraillists Forum Information (Word, 167KB)
- Teachbraillists Forum message guidelines (Word, 29KB)
- Teachbraillists Forum Acceptable Use Policy (Word, 15KB)
Join the 'teachbraillists' forum now or for further information contact the Teachbraillists Forum Moderator, Juliette Taylor by emailing Juliette.firstname.lastname@example.org
Professionals network framework
RNIB is currently involved in bringing together a national framework of professional networks within the visual impairment field, with the aim of providing information about their activities in one place. Our network directory forms a key part of our role in promoting effective practice in the education and development of blind and partially sighted children and young people.
For further information on professional networks contact the RNIB Children, Young People and Families Team at email@example.com
Subscribe to the Education enewsletter to get the latest research, policy and resources news for education professionals.Sign up