Books for children
Whether you're a young bookworm or a teenage book addict, we've got something for you at the library.
What you can borrow
- loads of great books in giant print (24 point type), braille or audio
- borrow up to six books at a time. Postage is free
- lots to choose from - adventure, love, fantasy, funny stories, stories about animals, families or underpants and aliens!
- you can also borrow poetry and non-fiction books on topics like cookery, pets and sport
- books delivered to home, school or college.
We send all our young readers a birthday book up to the age of 12 so that you can build up a collection of favourites to keep at home. Each year on your birthday, you will receive a book token and a list of books to choose from in giant print, braille or audio.
Finding the right book
- Borrow popular books like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Hunger Games or Mr Stink. And classics like Thomas the Tank Engine, Watership Down and James and the Giant Peach.
- Find books by favourite authors such as Stephanie Meyer, Roald Dahl, Michael Morpurgo, David Walliams, Suzanne Collins and Eoin Colfer.
- Our Readers Services Team can help you find the books you want to read and suggest others you might never have thought of trying. Send an email to email@example.com or call 01733 375 333.
- You can search our library catalogue.
- We also have book lists for children on themes like romance, thrillers and mysteries, and horror and ghost stories.
For parents and teachers
We welcome enquiries from parents, teachers and other professionals working with blind and partially sighted children. Our Readers Services Team can provide advice about supporting the reading needs of children with sight loss.
RNIB National Library Service does not lend text books although many of our fiction and non fiction titles do support the National Curriculum.
Load2Learn is a free service for schools and colleges, providing accessible textbooks and images to support dyslexic, partially sighted or blind learners who have difficulty reading standard print.
Subscribe to RNIB's Insight magazine for teachers and parents supporting children with vision impairments. Stay up to date with accessible technology, complex needs, independent living skills, and resources for teachers and families.
RNIB also provides information and advice about ebooks and ebook readers.
Ways of reading - free leaflet
Ways of Reading is a free leaflet designed to help you find reading materials in accessible formats for children of all ages who are blind or partially sighted - for pleasure, information or school work.
Book lists for children
Book lists for children
- Adventure.doc (Word, 78.5 KB)
- Animal stories.doc (Word, 204 KB)
- Christmas stories.doc (Word, 161.5 KB)
- Crossover books.doc (Word, 186.5 KB)
- Diary fiction.doc (Word, 164 KB)
- Family stories.doc (Word, 173 KB)
- Fantasy.doc (Word, 198.5 KB)
- Fiction age 7 plus.doc (Word, 237.5 KB)
- Emerging readers.doc (Word, 171.5 KB)
- Fiction up to age 7.doc (Word, 243.5 KB)
- Funny stories - younger readers.doc (Word, 170.5 KB)
- Historical fiction - younger readers.doc (Word, 184 KB)
- Horror stories - younger readers.doc (Word, 57 KB)
- magical stories giant print younger readers.doc (Word, 168.5 KB)
- Non-fiction - younger readers.doc (Word, 210 KB)
- Romance.doc (Word, 163.5 KB)
- School stories.doc (Word, 178 KB)
- Thrillers.doc (Word, 179.5 KB)
- Victorians.doc (Word, 156 KB)
- World War 2.doc (Word, 164 KB)