Make a Noise in Libraries (MANIL) fortnight
Make a Noise in Libraries 2015 runs from 1 to 14 June.
This annual campaign brings public libraries and blind and partially sighted people together in an effort to improve access to books and information.
There are lots of ways you can get involved.
- Use Reading sight to learn about accessible reading and confidently answer customer queries. This website is packed with information about all aspects of providing an accessible library service for blind and partially sighted users.
- Your Reading Choices is a quick free online tool on the Reading Sight website. It leads to a personal reading plan for someone with sight loss including contact details for organisations offering the most appropriate resources and help.
- Join our Six Steps online forum for sharing knowledge and experience or asking questions about any aspect of providing accessible library services or activities for blind and partially sighted people.
- Wear dots and start a conversation about accessibility in libraries and visit Wear dots...raise lots to find out how your library or reading group can help raise funds for RNIB and support MANIL at the same time.
- Throughout June take part in our online survey to make sure your views help shape the future of your library service.
- Find out about the wide range of reading services available from RNIB and visit our reading web pages.
- Welcome to the RNIB library - with over 60,000 items in the collection including Braille, audio, giant print and music. So much to access, borrow and enjoy.
*Please ensure blind and partially sighted people in your area can participate by using your library to access books in audio and large print and local history resources
To find out what's happening in your area, contact your local library or visit Reading Sight.
Free promotional materials
To help promote your library's involvement in MANIL, download and use the posters below.
What libraries say about MANIL
MANIL is good for publicity and helps to raise the profile of our library service with a group that can be difficult to reach.
We use MANIL to promote our large print and spoken word collections to customers, as well as reaching out to new customers.
MANIL is a useful way of focusing our attentions on our blind and partially sighted borrowers and an opportunity to make other people aware of what we have available.
Getting involved in MANIL
Call your local library and find out what they're doing during MANIL fortnight. Activities in previous years have included author events, poetry readings, reading groups, storytelling, drumming workshops and much more.
If you don’t use your local library, why not visit or give them a call to find out what they offer? By using and asking for services, you will be demonstrating that there is a need for accessible books and information, so your voice needs to be heard.
Sign up to our enewsletter
Keep up to date with all the latest campaign news and action from RNIB Campaigns. As one of our many campaign supporters, you can help us make a real difference.Sign up now