Outreach education service at RNIB Pears Centre
Find out about our specialist outreach service for children and young people with additional complex needs and visual impairments, professionals and parents.
Educational advice, guidance and practical support
Our developing service called Periscope provides educational advice, guidance and practical support to pupils, parents and service providers locally and nationally. We aim to help professionals and parents to support children and young people with complex needs and visual impairment in maximising their potential for learning, independence and fulfilment.
Our services include:
- Working with and supporting pupils in other schools and colleges with individual assessments and teaching programmes.
- Running training and information sessions for fellow professionals in our specialist classroom.
- We also host parent and early years sensory sessions on a weekly basis.
Our outreach education team
We are a team of specialist practitioners who work directly with children and young people of all ages who are blind or partially sighted, including those with additional complex needs.
Our team includes:
- Qualified Teachers of the Visually Impaired (QTVIs) who are also experts in additional complex needs.
- A highly experienced Team Leader who is qualified as a Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA).
Specialist resource base
The base for our Periscope outreach service is also a "model classroom" showcasing up-to-date specialist resources such as readers, magnifiers and communication aids. This is available for pupils, parents and professionals who may visit to discuss how these aids may best be used in the classroom and at home.
School prospectus and term dates
Admissions to RNIB Pears Centre
Find out how to apply for places at our nursery, school or children's home.
Ofsted and CQC reports
Read the latest Ofsted and Care Quality Commission (CQC) reports for our school and children’s home.
Donate to RNIB Pears Centre now
Your donation can help us to provide wonderful experiences for children and young people with multiple disabilities and complex health needs who are blind or partially sighted, at RNIB Pears Centre for Specialist Learning.Donate now