We are proud of the work that we do, but it’s great when others recognise our achievements.
In recent years, Ofsted visited us and they had lots of great things to say. We’ve highlighted some of them for you here.
An ‘outstanding home’
In October 2013, Ofsted visited Sunshine House and judged us to be an outstanding home. They describe our service as: “exceptionally effective at enhancing lives of children with profound, multiple and complex needs, including children who are blind or partially sighted.
“Through highly personalised care and excellent safeguarding practice, staff enable children to develop a deep sense of well-being and safety.”
To read the full Ofsted report, download the full report below:
- RNIB Sunshine House Children's Residence inspection report (Word, 45 KB)
- RNIB Sunshine House Children's Residence inspection report (PDF, 119 KB)
A school with ‘a caring ethos’
Ofsted judged Sunshine House School to be a good school with some outstanding aspects, following its visit in June 2011.
The Ofsted report praised our promotion of equality, saying: "The school's promotion of equality is outstanding, and those with additional complex needs achieve as well as their peers.
Commenting on Sunshine’s curriculum, Ofsted said:
"A rich range of well-planned curriculum activities have a positive impact on pupils' enjoyment of their achievements.
- "Many exciting activities are provided, with the sensory outdoor trail contributing well to pupils' healthy lifestyles and to their enjoyment."
- "Pupils' moral and social development is outstanding, resulting in their exceptionally positive behaviour and improving attendance."
It concluded that the school “provides a very supportive and caring ethos in which pupils thrive."
Read the full report
Download the full Ofsted report:
- RNIB Sunshine House School Ofsted Inspection Report - June 2011 (Word, 160 KB)
- RNIB Sunshine House School Ofsted Inspection Report - June 2011 (PDF, 191 KB)
You can find previous reports on Ofsted's website.
For more information check the following sections:
Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most. Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.Donate now