Ofsted reports on RNIB Sunshine House School and Residence
We are proud of the work that we do, but it’s great when others recognise our achievements.
Our special school and residence are each regulated by Ofsted separately. We are delighted that both our education and care achieved ‘Outstanding’ gradings following full inspections in July 2014, the highest rating given.
Ofsted had lots of great things to say on their recent visits. We’ve highlighted some of them for you here.
An ‘outstanding home’
RNIB Sunshine House Residence has been consistently graded ‘Outstanding’ in all inspections since November 2011. It means that we offer “a service of exceptional quality that significantly exceeds minimum requirements”.
Ofsted's latest report complimented our care and short breaks, saying “This is an empowering and enabling service. It has a tremendously positive impact on the lives of children and their families.”
Our inspector also commented that:
- “Children have their complex and profound needs fully met in a safe and stimulating environment.”
- “[Children] have access to a very wide range of experiences in this home and in the community. They have excellent opportunities to experience new things and to expand their learning. As a result, they have made exceptional progress in developing their skills, confidence and identity.”
To read our residence's full Ofsted report, download it below in either Word or PDF:
- RNIB Sunshine House Children's Residence inspection report (Word, 45 KB)
- RNIB Sunshine House Children's Residence inspection report (PDF, 119 KB)
An 'outstanding' school
Our outstanding rating from Ofsted means that RNIB Sunshine House School “is highly effective in delivering outcomes that provide exceptionally well for all its pupils' needs”.
Ofsted praised the way that our “pupils make outstanding progress in academic achievement, in personal skills and in physical development” adding that our “teaching is outstanding.”
- “Partnerships with other institutions, such as the [Eden] academy trust, are extremely effective. They bring added expertise to the school and provide pupils with a much wider mix of experiences.”
- “The range of subjects, therapy and specialised methods of interaction are very well matched to pupils’ needs. Communication in various forms is emphasised in all activities, supported by an extremely high level of individual tuition and support.”
- RNIB Sunshine House School Ofsted report 2014 (Word, 91KB)
- RNIB Sunshine House School Ofsted report 2014 (PDF, 205KB)
You can find our previous reports on Ofsted's website.
For more information check the following sections:
Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most. Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.Donate now