Technical Engineering Support Volunteer
- East of England
Do you enjoy working with technology?
Researching how things like CD players Talking Book players and radios work, dismantling and repairing small mechanical devices? Are you interested in joining our Solutions team to assist in the repair and refurbishment of devices that can be used to help make the lives of blind and partially sighted people better?
This role will not require a DBS check.
What will I be doing?
- Recording delivery and despatch of devices and players in from goods inward, using an electronic library system
- Carrying out preliminary inspection, to identify the nature of the action needed
- Carry out small repairs and remedial activities
- Escalate relevant issues to engineers
What skills can I bring to this role?
- An interest in technology
- Ability to learn how to service and to troubleshoot a small mechanical device
- Ability to learn how to follow set procedures to carry out tests on small electrical CD players
- Good communication and team working skills
- Ability to confidently use computers and a range of Microsoft Office applications.
- Past experience / knowledge in a technical area such as engineering, mechanical repairs, etc.
When will I be needed?
During office hours - times to be agreed with your volunteer manager.
RNIB, Bakewell Road, Orton Southgate, Peterborough, PE2 6XU
What will I gain from the role?
- Work with a team comprising electrical and mechanical engineers.
- Learn about the issues faced by blind and partially sighted users of technology.
- Gain experience of technical problem solving in the area of access to devices and systems by people with visual impairment.
- Gain experience and understanding with Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) - the UK's leading charity offering information, support and advice to almost two million people with sight loss.
- Gain an understanding of our pioneering work that helps anyone with a sight problem - not just with Braille and Talking Books, but with imaginative and practical solutions to everyday challenges.
What support will I be given?
- Understanding Sight Loss Pack
- Expenses – all out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed including expenses to attend training
- Supervision and support from your volunteer manager/ co-ordinator
To apply for this role, please complete and return the Volunteering application form (Word 166 KB) to email@example.com. If you would like the application form in a different format (such as standard print, large print, braille or audio) or if you have any general enquiries, please contact the Volunteering Team on: 0845 603 0575 or 01733 375 450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most. Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.Donate now