Technology Support Coordinator
- East Midlands
Would you like to help blind and partially sighted people in your local area use their computer, mobile phone or television?
We have a network of Technology Support volunteers around the country who help set up and fix technology for people with sight loss. We need someone in your area who can act as the link to receive requests for help and find a local technology volunteer who can solve the problem.
This role does require an Enhanced DBS check.
What will I be doing?
- Contacting volunteers in your area to find who is available to assist when a person with sight loss asks for help with technology
- Contacting and/ or visiting blind and partially sighted people in your area who need our help
- Collating and sharing relevant information with us
- Ensuring information about local volunteers is up to date and accurate
- Helping us to retain and support the volunteers in your area
- Using your local knowledge to help us publicise the service in your area
What skills and qualities can I bring to this role?
- Good organisation skills
- The ability to communicate easily and clearly with others, both over the phone and by email
- Comfortable using email, internet and basic Excel spreadsheets
- Willingness to learn about sight loss technology
- Friendliness, enthusiasm and reliability
When will I be needed?
The time needed depends on how many requests are made by customers in your area, and this is quite unpredictable. As a minimum you must be able to commit to regularly checking your email (at least every 48 hours) and following up customer requests promptly as they arise.
Where will I be volunteering?
The role is home based. You must have your own phone and computer with access to internet and email.
What will I gain from the role?
- Sense of satisfaction from helping to improve the independence of blind and partially sighted people
- Experience of working with other people in your local area
- Chance to maintain and develop your skills, including customer service and team working
- Opportunity to network and share your interest in technology with other members of the Technology Support Squad across the country
What support will I be given?
- Induction including Understanding Sight Loss
- Support from your RNIB Volunteering staff member for the region
- Support and guidance from other Technology Support Squad volunteers
- Expenses - out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed including travel and expenses to attend training
To apply for this role, please complete and return the Volunteering application form (Word 166 KB) to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like the application form in a different format (such as standard print, large print, braille or audio) or if you have any general enquiries, please contact the Volunteering Team on: 0845 603 0575 or 01733 375 450 or email email@example.com.