- Yorkshire and Humber
Are you friendly and reliable, with some time to spare? Would you enjoy meeting new people in your local area? You could provide a supportive, reliable relationship to people who may otherwise be socially isolated, as part of Leeds Vision Consortium’s befriending service.
You will meet with a client on a regular basis, for a chat, to help with small tasks such as reading mail, or to help them get out and about.
This role requires an Enhanced check for regulated activity.
What will I be doing?
- Having a chat and providing company
- Helping with reading, personal correspondence and post
- Acting as a sighted guide
- Going out for a short walk or a coffee
What skills and qualities can I bring to this role?
- Good communication and listening skills
- Aware of the need for confidentiality
- Friendly and approachable
- Flexible and responsive to individual needs
- Patient and understanding
When will I be needed?
The time and day of the visit is to be mutually arranged between the client and volunteer, and this will be for up to two hours per week. It is important that regular contact is maintained.
Due to the nature of the role we kindly ask for a minimum of six months commitment.
The Leeds area, in the client's home, or out and about within a reasonable distance. Travel expenses to and from the client’s home or other place of meeting will be reimbursed.
What will I gain from the role?
- Personal satisfaction from helping visually impaired adults
- Meet new people within the community
- Meet like minded people at volunteer meetings and events
- Knowledge that you will be helping to fill an important gap in an isolated person's life
- Confidence in the field of befriending
What support will I be given?
- Understanding Sight Loss Pack
- Guiding Skills
- Expenses – out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed including expenses to attend training
- Supervision and support from LVC Volunteer Development Co-ordinator
To apply for this role, please complete and return the Volunteering application form (Word 166 KB) to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like the application form in a different format (such as standard print, large print, braille or audio) or if you have any general enquiries, please contact the Volunteering Team on: 0845 603 0575 or 01733 375 450 or email email@example.com.