Further help and support with starting work

Find further help and support about all aspects of moving into employment.

Benefits and financial help

As you move through your journey from school and beyond you’ll be entitled to different benefits and financial assistance because of your sight condition.

The financial help you’ll be able to get will depend on what you are doing and your circumstances at the time: for example, at university you’ll have access to the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) and at work you’ll be entitled to funding through the Access to Work Scheme.

You may also be entitled to benefits such as Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Personal Independence  Payments (PIP) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA).

Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

The Government replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged between 16 and 64 with a benefit called Personal Independence Payment (PIP).  But if you are under 16 and claiming help for the first time, you should make a claim for DLA. When you turn 16, you will then have to make a claim for PIP.

Universal Credit

Since October 2013 there has been a new benefit for people on low incomes called Universal Credit. It is gradually replacing many other welfare benefits - including housing benefit, income support and jobseeker's allowance.

To find out about the benefits and financial help you may be entitled to, visit our Benefits for people of working age pages or contact RNIB's Helpline on 0303 123 9999  or email helpline@rnib.org.uk and our Welfare Rights Advisors can help to resolve any problems you have in getting the right support.

Employment and Careers advice

For more online information about careers, seeking work, writing a CV or application form, interviews, job-seeking resources, or the Access to Work scheme visit our main Employment section

RNIB supports blind and partially sighted people in finding work across the UK. Our specialist advisers offer advice and guidance on all aspects of employment including skills training, assessments and information on the latest assistive technology to support you at work.

Get in touch with your Careers Adviser by visiting our 'Finding a Careers Adviser' pages.

Sightline directory

Find local services and organisations that help blind and partially sighted people in the UK. 

Search Sightline