Amedia Live Reader is a new solution for instant OCR: Scans a live image captured by a camera and reads the texts in it in real-time.
Supported language: English, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Japanese and Korean.
Employs an excellent OCR technology powered by ABBYY.
1. Open the App with VoiceOver tuned on.
2. Tap the "Active" button to focus. The App starts beeping.
3. Direct the camera to letters. The App detects and read them in real-time.
4. Hold the device flat (with the camera facing down) to take a still picture. This is useful when you're reading paper sheets on a desk.
5. The previously read texts can be reached by left swiping.
6. Copy the texts to the Clipboard in the Settings screen.
One fantastic new feature is the instant way to just OCR whatever you have on your desk or around you.
You get the result in real time.
It is very easy to use.
This app is based off the same OCR technology that powers knfb reader, however it doesn't offer a field of view report, after having only spent a few minutes with this app it is fair to say, it is very accessible, all buttons are labeled, and you get bleeps as a guide for lining up. A big selling point for this app seems to be some of the non western languages it supports. One nice feature with this app is it can read text in real-time which knfb reader can't do, and although we have apps that can read in real-time they generally haven't been based off good technology. Hopefully as this is based off the same technology that powers knfb reader it will give better results than other apps that can also read in real-time.
We want to hear from you, our users. Which apps and websites should we be writing about on the TechKnowMore blog? Is there an app you can no longer live without? What website is at the top of your favourites list? Drop us an email on [email protected] to let us know, and your favourite service could be featured in the very near future!