I lost my sight overnight while on holiday.
I was just a 20-year-old girl on holiday with her friends in Greece, and also a victim of incredibly bad luck. I drank some contaminated alcohol on a night out which gave me methanol poisoning. It robbed me of my sight and gave me kidney failure too.
Nothing can prepare you for the shock of losing your sight so suddenly. When I was told by the doctor that my sight wouldn’t come back, I feIt I was in a nightmare. Fortunately, I was told about RNIB’s sight loss adviser service which has since changed my life and given me hope.
Getting back on my feet
I think about how difficult those initial days were and how important my sight loss adviser Angela was. She offered support to me and my family, assisted with appointments and helped me get back to work. Before meeting Angela I thought my life was over, but she helped lift me out of my depression and be more positive. I'm trying to get back to my life and do things I used to do.
With your help, we will be able to make sure the sight loss adviser service is there for even more people when they're needed most.
Watch this film to find out more about Hannah's story and her sight loss adviser, Angela.
Our sight loss advisers are so critical because they:
- are the first point of contact after a patient has been told they are losing their sight.
- provide vital support to the patient and their family.
- offer guidance on the practical impact of sight loss.
- advise on home adaptions and getting back to work.
Above all, our wonderful sight loss advisers give people hope at what is a hugely difficult time.
How your money helps:
- £8 could provide a 20 minute appointment to help a person understand more about their eye condition.
- £12 could pay for a 30 minute session with a sight loss adviser, helping someone cope with finding out that they’re losing their sight.
- £80 could pay for a series of sight loss adviser appointments for one customer, to help make the overwhelming feel manageable.
- £175 could pay for a whole day of sight loss adviser appointments for one customer.
Thanks to the kind support from people like you, RNIB sight loss advisers were able to support over 40,000 patients and relatives in hospital eye departments across the UK, between April 2017 and March 2018.