- Post date:
- Monday, 7 November 2016
There are six sight loss guides in the top tips series. This is the fourth guide of six.
The advice given here will help you feel confident about supporting a person with sight loss in their home:
- Utilise natural light where possible
- Use vertical blinds to control adverse effects of natural light such as glare and shadow
- Artificial lighting levels should be consistent, even and controllable
- Avoid lampshades and lighting features that allow the bulb to be viewed directly
- Use brighter and bolder colours to create good colour contrast
- Avoid reflective surfaces, as well as highly patterned wallpaper, carpets and furnishings
- Encourage a consistent clutter free environment to avoid trip hazards
- Enhance visibility of glass doors with markings
- Use well contrasted or tactile signage where appropriate
- Local authorities can provide assessments to identify aids and adaptations to support with sight loss.
Read the other five top tips guides for sight loss:
Tags Best of NB Online