- Post date:
- Monday, 7 November 2016
There are six sight loss guides in the top tips series. This is the third guide of six.
The advice given here will help you feel confident about guiding a person with sight loss:
- Always offer assistance first, not everyone will need help
- Introduce yourself - ask the person where they want to go and how they wish to be guided
- Ensure you are one step ahead of the person you are guiding
- Give instructions where necessary but don’t overdo it
- Be aware of hazards at ground level and at head height
- When guiding, give information about the people who are present and the environment as you move around
- Explain your actions
- When approaching seating, tell the person where the seat is and guide their hand to the back and seat of the chair, so that they can sit down independently
- Remember to allow extra space around obstacles
- Remember if someone is blind, it doesn’t always mean they have no sight at all.
Download the Ten tips to guiding a person with sight loss as an accessible PDF.
Read the other five top tips guides for sight loss: Tags Best of NB Online