This data tool provides information about blind and partially sighted people and those at risk of sight loss at a local level throughout the UK.
Download the latest version of our Sight Loss Data Tool
The RNIB’s Sight Loss Data Tool is the UK’s biggest collection of eye health datasets. The product collates a wide range of publically available datasets and allows users to view local area data easily in one of three different automated reports. The full report tells a tailored story about the local area; custom tables allow users to compare data for up to ten national or local areas; and the benchmarking report shows users how local areas compare to their region and nation, across a set of key indicators.
In the data tool, you can find information by local authority, region or country including:
- The estimated number of people living with severe sight loss
- Projected change in sight threatening eye conditions over the next 15 years
- The number of ophthalmology appointments in local NHS Trusts
- The number of working age people registered blind
The Sight Loss Data Tool was downloaded approximately 4,000 times in 2015. It is a vital evidence source for a wide range of organisations in the sight loss sector and supports activities such as campaigning, service improvement and securing funding.
New data in Version 3.5
We have updated some local authority datasets in the Sight Loss Data Tool Version 3.4. These updates include:
- The ONS population figures have now been updated to provide a more accurate picture of the local context in 2016
- NHS Sight test figures for Northern Ireland, 2015/2016
- The proportion of care home residents with a visual impairment in Scottish care homes
- 2015/2016 Certification of Visual Impairment figures for Wales
- 2017 figures for the number of children with a statement of special educational needs (SEN) with vision impairment as the primary SEN
- Updated ECLO location data for hospitals and NHS Trusts in England.
The data tool now include instructions to advise users how to save any report as a PDF file for sharing with stakeholders. Whilst in the desired report, go to 'save as' and in the 'save as type' drop down box, select PDF. The PDF is accessible by screenreaders however it does not include styled headings.
Schedule of updates
This Sight Loss Data Tool will undergo minor updates and will be re-published every three months. The next planned update is due to be published in October 2017.
Why this data is useful
Our Sight Loss Data Tool supports the work of the UK Vision Strategy and RNIB. It is available for you to use free of charge.
One key activity supported via the Sight Loss Data Tool is building an evidence base for health commissioning. Each local authority is responsible for maintaining a Joint Strategic Needs Assessment (JSNA), which reports on the health and wellbeing needs of local people. It also looks ahead at emerging challenges and projected need in the future.
We want to make sure the needs of blind and partially sighted people and those at risk of sight loss are taken into account in these planning documents.
By providing robust evidence on sight loss and those at risk of sight loss at a local level, the data tool can also support a range of other activities such as:
- marketing and communications
- service and strategic planning
We believe that providing good evidence at a local level is important and we plan to further develop this Sight Loss Data Tool in the future. If you have any feedback or suggestions or questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow at least five working days for someone in the team to get back to you.