- Post date:
- Monday, 6 June 2016
This delicious veggie gratin is great as part of a main course or as a standalone dish.
Ingredients (serves six)
1 small green cabbage or pak choi
3 medium/large potatoes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 turnips or 1 small swede
4-6 medium carrots
30ml vegetable stock
Knob of butter
1 egg yolk
75ml double cream
75g Gruyère cheese (grated)
25g parmesan cheese (grated)
200g fresh breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C / Gas mark 5.
- Halve, then quarter your cabbage and shred as finely as possible. Rinse in cold water.
- Peel and chop the potatoes, then boil and mash. Add the egg yolk and cream, a pinch of salt and some black pepper and place aside.
- Peel the turnips or swede and carrots and cut into fine strips.
- Boil the carrots in the vegetable stock for around ten minutes. Add the turnip strips and a knob of butter, season with black pepper and simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- Steam your cabbage in a steamer if you have one, or simmer in half an inch of water for ten minutes.
- Add the cabbage to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Grease a shallow baking dish, spreading half the mashed potato into the bottom. Sprinkle over the carrots and turnips, smoothing the other half of the mash on top.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and both cheeses. Bake for 40 minutes.