Education and learning

Most blind and partially sighted children are educated in mainstream schools, or in special schools that do not specialise in vision impairment. 

In this section you'll find information about how to support children's education, from the early years to transition into adulthood and life beyond school. This includes how to secure the right support for your child in nursery and school through a process of assessment and specifically tailored support.

Young children’s education

Mainstream schools have a Special Needs Coordinator (SENCO) who will work with you to look at how your child's educational needs can be best met at school. Your child may get support from Qualified Teachers of children with Vision Impairment (QTVIs) and teaching assistants. Your child may also benefit from resources such large print, braille or technical equipment.

E mail to get in touch with us, and you can also check out the Sightline Directory which holds details of thousands of other organisations in the UK that can give you information, advice and support.

You can also download our Starting out - Education guide.

School, college and university

School is a big part of your life and we have advice around choosing subjects, exams and study skills, after school clubs and activities as well as how to start planning for life after school and moving on to college, uni or work. If you're going to school, college and university, visit Young people for more information and advice. We also have advice if you are looking to start studying as an adult or retraining because of sight loss. It is never too late to start learning!


We have a large amount of advice and guidance about teaching blind and partially sighted pupils from the early years to secondary education in our Education Professionals section.

Get the latest news and views

You can also find out more by reading Insight Magazine, which keeps you up to date with the very latest news and information to help support children and young people with sight loss.

We're here to help

Our Helpline is your direct line to the support, advice, and products you need to face the future with confidence. If you or someone you know has a sight problem, our specialist advice workers can help.

Contact Us