RNIB Certificate in Contracted (Grade 2) Unified English Braille - Exam-only option
Thank you for your interest in the exam-only option of our Certificate in Unified English Braille (UEB) course.
The exam is in Unified English Braille (UEB) – not Standard English Braille (SEB).
You will be tested on your knowledge of the following:
- the braille alphabet
- all the contractions of Unified English Braille
- punctuation signs
- basic numbering and capitalisation
- basic formatting and typeforms.
It does not cover any of the following:
- advanced notation
- specialist codes (eg mathematics, science, music, etc)
- skills in teaching braille to blind individuals.
The cost is £75.
The current exam dates are 17 May 2023 and 8 November 2023.
Students will be given two optional practice papers, sent out about six weeks prior to the exam, which can be sent back to the Braille Training mailbox ([email protected]) for marking and feedback. Telephone and email support are available.
An email account is required for tutor feedback and submission of the exam files.
The exam itself consists of a transcription paper to be brailled on a computer using the supplied software, and a black dot braille comprehension paper on which students will need to answer questions on by typing in Word, Notepad or another word processor.
The exam is three hours long and should be taken at the student's place of work
Students need to be responsible for ensuring that the Perky Duck software needed to complete their exam is installed correctly, with the specified settings and page size. The software can be downloaded for free from a link which is supplied upon application.
Students will also need to find an invigilator to monitor their exam and to whom RNIB will send the exam papers.
The pass marks are A-E. Grades F and below are a fail, but students can pay again to retake the exam as many times as they wish.
On passing, students will be accredited with an RNIB Unified English Braille course certificate.
How to enrol
You can purchase the exam via our online shop. You'll be instructed to download the application form, stating whether you wish to enrol on the May or November exam, and email it to us.
Organisations wishing to receive an invoice should download the course application form from this page. Please note: your application must be accompanied by an official Purchase Order number or we will not be able to accept it.
All completed application forms should be emailed to [email protected]
Terms and conditions
- Applications will be acknowledged within two weeks of receipt.
- Fees must be paid prior to the start of the course and no exam materials will be dispatched until the receipt of payment.
- RNIB reserves the right to impose a charge of £75 for places cancelled after the application deadline of the exam.
- Students are required to sit the examination within the given timeframe. Extensions will only be considered if made in writing.
- RNIB accepts no responsibility for the free software provided, this is installed at the user's own risk. RNIB provides no technical support for this software.
- Except in the case of fraud or personal injury resulting from an act or omission by RNIB the maximum liability of RNIB to the student shall be capped at the price you have paid for the exam and in particular RNIB shall not be liable for any indirect, economic or consequential loss the student may suffer.
- Training materials provided are copyrighted and are for the student's personal use only.