Shop RNIB Donate now

Reducing your Council Tax bill

Four different ways in which you could reduce your Council Tax bill. Although the four ways are not specifically for blind and partially sighted people, one or all of them may apply to you.

Council Tax support

Each local authority has its own Council Tax support scheme to help people on low incomes with their Council Tax bill. The qualifying rules and how much of a reduction you might be entitled to varies between authorities. Your household income and how many people you have living with you will affect how much support you get though.

To find out more and to make a claim for Council Tax support, contact your local authority.

Disability Reduction Scheme

Your local authority can reduce your Council Tax bill if you, or anyone else living in your home, is "substantially and permanently disabled" and needs adaptations or extra space in your home because of this.

To qualify, it must be your main home must contain one of the following:

  • a room other than a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory used predominantly to meet the needs of a disabled person
  • an additional kitchen or bathroom for the use of a disabled person
  • extra space inside your property so that a wheelchair can be used.

Your local authority must also be satisfied that the room or adaptation is essential or of major importance to wellbeing because of the nature and extent of the disability. For example, some blind or partially sighted people need an extra room to store bulky equipment such as a CCTV or braille equipment. Or you may have had an extra bathroom put in because of mobility problems.

If you qualify for a disability reduction, your local authority will reduce your bill to the band below the valuation band of your home. If your home is valued at band A (which is the lowest band) you will be eligible for a reduction of a sixth off your bill.

Local authorities have some flexibility when considering reductions for people with disabilities, but we recommend that you make a claim if you think you are entitled.

Single person’s discount

If you live on your own, you should automatically receive a single person's discount of 25 per cent off your Council Tax bill. You can also get a 25 per cent reduction if the person you live with is exempt from paying Council Tax. Exempted groups include:

  • people with severe mental impairments
  • some types of carers (but not if the carer cares for their partner)
  • anyone under 18
  • and full-time students.

Contact your local authority if you think you should receive a single person's discount and have not received one.

Second Adult Rebate scheme

Your local authority could reduce your Council Tax bill by a quarter if you live with an adult who receives income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance, Income Support or Pension Credit.

You could also claim the Second Adult Rebate if you live with someone who is on a low income. Call your local authority for more information and to make a claim.

Getting help to reduce your Council Tax bill

If you would like to talk to one of our advisers about Council Tax reductions or other benefits available to people with serious sight problems, call our Helpline on 0303 123 9999. You can also email [email protected]. Please note that we can only give advice about benefits for people with sight loss and their carers or dependants.

Further information can also be found in our factsheet: