Volunteer Voices – our research
Volunteering extends the reach of our service and helps us to equip blind and partially sighted people with the skills and confidence to be able to live the life they want to lead.
So, it is important that we have a deep understanding of the volunteering experience at RNIB, including how volunteers feel about their involvement, what is working well and what we could be doing better. Our Volunteering team conducts regular surveys at different points of the volunteer journey.
Volunteer feedback is crucial to our future work to ensure the volunteering experience at RNIB, for both current and future volunteers, is a positive one. This page highlights the key findings from our volunteer surveys.
A massive thank you to everyone who has completed our volunteer surveys and shared their feedback. It is greatly appreciated and invaluable to our work to ensure a positive volunteer experience at RNIB.
Our next volunteer survey will go live at the start of 2024.
Volunteering experience: key stats
- 90 percent of volunteers feel comfortable being themselves whilst volunteering.
- 89 percent of volunteers have the knowledge and confidence to carry out their role effectively.
- 89 percent of volunteers feel recognised for the volunteering they do from their manager.
- 83 percent of volunteers utilise the skills they already have into their role.
- 82 percent of volunteers feel volunteering improves their wellbeing.
- 81 percent of volunteers feel like they are making a difference in the lives of others by volunteering with RNIB.
- 77 percent of blind and partially sighted volunteers have gained confidence through volunteering with RNIB.
- 76 percent of volunteers feel supported in their role.
- 75 percent of volunteers agree their manager is available to talk to if they need support.
- 70 percent of volunteers feel a sense of belonging through volunteering with RNIB.
Volunteering insight activities and reports
We have two volunteer experience surveys a year, in addition to surveys at different points in your volunteering journey and following specific events, such as Festival of Volunteering.
- Festival of Volunteering 2023 Evaluation Summary (Word)
- 2023 Volunteer Summer Survey Report (Word)
- 2022 Annual Volunteer Survey Report (Word)
- July 2022 Pulse Survey Report (Word)
- April 2022 Pulse Survey Report (Word)
- February 2022 Pulse Survey Report (Word)
For more information or to become a volunteer email us on [email protected].