Shop RNIB Donate now

Grants from other organisations

As well as grants from RNIB, there are a number of different charities and organisations around the UK that may be able to provide you with financial assistance if you are blind or partially sighted and on a low income.

Your local authority

We recommend that you always try your local Social Services department first. Whether you are registered with them or not, they may be able to give you help with:

  • fees for residential and nursing homes
  • telephone installation and rental
  • equipment to help you in your daily life
  • adaptations to the home
  • holidays.

In England, your local authority should also have a welfare assistance scheme to help people on low incomes afford everyday household items.

Call your local authority and ask to speak to their welfare assistance scheme to find out about their qualifying criteria and how much money is available (this varies between local authorities). You can search for your local welfare scheme on the Child Poverty Action Group online directory.

If you live:

  • In Scotland, you can apply for a Community Care Grant from the Scottish Welfare Fund if you need help to leave care, live independently, or to continue living independently. Although this is a national scheme, local authorities deliver it, so contact yours to start your application. They also provide crisis grants for emergencies.
  • In Wales, you can apply for an Individual Assistance Payment from the Discretionary Assistance Fund to help you live independently. They also provide Emergency Assistance Payments. For more information or to make an application call for free on 0800 859 5924.
  • In Northern Ireland, you can apply for a Discretionary Support loan. For more information, contact the Finance Support Service on 0800 587 2750.

Your local Education Authority can also give help with equipment and transport for educational needs.


There may be a local charity providing grants in your area. For details of regional grant-giving charities, use the Turn2Us online search, check the disability grants web page, visit Sightline Directory or call our Helpline on 0303 123 9999.

Local societies for people with sight loss

There are a number of independent local societies for blind and partially sighted people around the country and they may offer grants for or the loan of equipment to help you in your daily life.

You may wish to contact your local branch of the Rotary Club (01789 765 411), Round Table (0121 456 4402) or Lions Clubs (0121 441 4544).

National charities for people in need

There is a range of charities in the UK that give grants to blind and partially sighted people. Some only give grants for specific types of items (such as computer equipment), some give grants to certain sorts of people (such as ex-service personnel) and some are specifically for people with sight loss.

The Turn2Us online search provides a comprehensive and free way to find available grants online.

You can call our Helpline on 0303 123 9999 to find other charities that may be able to help you.

We have also produced a factsheet that gives details of other charities that may be able to give you funding: