Download our energy advice factsheet for information about benefits, key dates and support available from other organisations.
We’re here to help if you’re worried about the cost of energy. We provide free energy advice to help you manage your energy bills and energy usage.
Get energy advice and support
Our friendly energy advisers can support you on a wide range of energy issues, including:
- Managing your energy use
- Getting the best energy tariff
- Signposting to energy debt agencies
- Accessible energy bills and understanding your energy bill
- Support with changing or reading your meter
- Help with Smart Meters and accessible in-home displays (AIHD)
- Advice on making your home warmer
- Advice on benefits and grants you may be entitled to, including Cost of Living payments
- Support registering with the Priority Services Register
- Accessing local support.
If you need energy advice
Contact our energy advice team by telephone or email for one-to-one energy support.
You can call our Helpline on 0303 123 9999 between 8am-8pm weekdays and 9am-1pm on Saturday. Please select option 3 to speak with an energy adviser. You can also email [email protected] or say “Alexa, call RNIB Helpline” on Alexa-enabled devices.
Advice you can trust
Our energy advisers receive specialist training on topics related to living with sight loss and can answer your questions and offer practical advice and support.
In addition, many of our advisers have completed the National Energy Action (NEA) Level 3 qualification, covering energy saving methods and energy advice.
Funded by British Gas Energy Trust
This service is funded by British Gas Energy Trust.
The cost of living crisis has had a disproportionate affect on blind and partially sighted people, who are more likely to have increased energy needs or be on a fixed income. With British Gas Energy Trust’s support we can continue to provide free and impartial energy advice.
Energy advice resources
Read our top tips designed to help you save on your energy bill and reduce energy use around the home.
We have resources to help you get practical support with the cost of living, such as finding warm spaces, and getting help with money and benefits.
Our easy-to-use calculator will help you work out the benefits you're entitled to and any you may be missing out on.
The Priority Services Register is a free support service which blind and partially sighted people may benefit from.
All energy companies keep their own Priority Services Register. Joining means you’ll get extra help from your energy supplier, which could include the following services:
- Priority support in an emergency
- Heating and cooking facilities if your energy supply is cut off
- Advance notice of planned power cuts
- Sending someone to check your meter
- Issuing bills in large print, braille, or to another person (such as a carer or family member).