Thank you for your interest in the exam-only option of our Certificate in Unified English Braille course.
The exam is in Unified English Braille (UEB) - not Standard English Braille (SEB).
You will be tested on your knowledge of the following:
- The braille alphabet
- All the contractions of Unified English Braille
- Punctuation signs
- Basic numbering and capitalisation
- Basic formatting and typeforms.
It does not cover any of the following:
- Advanced notation
- Specialist codes (eg mathematics, science, music, etc)
- Skills in teaching braille to blind individuals
The cost is £75.
Exam dates are available throughout the year and are to be arranged with the course tutors.
Students will be given 2 optional practice papers, sent out about 6 weeks prior to the exam, which can be sent back to the Braille Training mailbox ([email protected]
) for marking and feedback. Telephone and email support is available.
An email account is required for tutor feedback, and submission of the exam files electronically is preferred (hard copy braille will be accepted by prior arrangement with the course tutors).
The exam itself consists of a transcription paper to be brailled on a computer using the supplied software, and an embossed braille comprehension paper which students will need to answer questions on by typing in Word, Notepad or another word processor.
The exam is 3 hours long (with an additional 45 minutes time allowance) and can be taken at the student's place of work/study or at RNIB in Peterborough.
Students need to be responsible for ensuring that the Perky Duck software needed to complete their exam is installed correctly, with the specified settings and page size. The software can be downloaded for free from a link which is supplied upon application.
Please note that the software is for use on a PC only and is not compatible with a Mac.
Students will also need to find an invigilator/amanuensis to monitor their exam and to whom RNIB will send the exam papers (unless the exam is being taken at RNIB).
The pass marks are A-E. Grades F and below are a fail, but students can pay again to retake the exam as many times as they wish.
On passing, students will be accredited with an RNIB Unified English Braille course certificate.
How to enrol
Please download and complete an application form and return it to our address below. The exam application forms are in Word document and PDF formats on the top right corner of this page for you to download.
Completed application forms should be sent to:
Racheal Jarvis, First Floor, Midgate House, Midgate, Peterborough PE1 1TN
Terms and conditions
- Applications will be acknowledged within two weeks of receipt.
- Fees must be paid prior to the start of the course and no exam materials will be dispatched until the receipt of payment. Cheques should be made payable to RNIB and sent with the application form, or paid on receipt of an invoice.
- RNIB reserves the right to impose a charge of £75 for places cancelled after the application deadline of the exam.
- Students are required to sit the examination within the given timeframe. Extensions will only be considered if made in writing.
- RNIB accepts no responsibility for the free software provided, this is installed at the user's own risk. RNIB provides no technical support for this software.
- Except in the case of fraud or personal injury resulting from an act or omission by RNIB the maximum liability of RNIB to the student shall be capped at the price you have paid for the exam and in particular RNIB shall not be liable for any indirect, economic or consequential loss the student may suffer.
- Training materials provided are copyrighted and are for the student's personal use only.