Information on the Eating and Drinking section in the PIP form This activity looks at your ability to be nourished, either by cutting food into pieces or getting it into to your mouth.

You should talk about spilling food if this means you have to change your clothes after meals.

Questions relevant to sight loss

The legal tests is:

Needs –

i. to use an aid or appliance to be able to take nutrition; or

ii. supervision to be able to take nutrition; or

iii. assistance to be able to cut up food.

(2 points)

Top tips

When answering the questions think about:

  • What aids do you use to help you to eat, for example, a plate guard to stop food from falling off the plate? Do you use a bowl rather than a plate to prevent spillages?
  • Do you need to use specifically coloured plates so that the colour contrast allows you to distinguish different food items?
  • Do you need someone to cut up your food on your behalf?
  • Do you need help taking bones out of fish?
  • Do you have any special cutlery?
  • Are you able to see if you have dropped food or drink onto your clothes?
  • Do you need to set your food and cutlery out in a particular layout so that you can find them using touch? For example, always having your drink on the right hand side so that you can find it.
  • Do you need someone to tell you whereabouts your food is on the plate, for example using the clock face method?

You should put your answers to these questions in the section on the form called "Extra information".

Download this page