Shop RNIB Donate now

Referral to hospital for diagnosis

If you have an eye examination and the optometrist finds signs of an eye condition, they or your GP will refer you to an ophthalmologist in your local hospital eye department or a specialist optometrist in the community. An ophthalmologist is a hospital doctor that specialises in conditions and diseases of the eye.

Seeing an ophthalmologist

You'll normally see the ophthalmologist in an outpatients department at your local hospital. The ophthalmologist will spend time talking to you about any symptoms you may have, and you will have some tests.

Once the ophthalmologist has all your test results, they will be able to tell you what condition you may have and should be able to answer some of your questions about the condition.