RNIB Scotland Employment Service
There are approximately 2,000 people registered as blind or partially sighted working in a wide range of employment sectors in Scotland. However, this number is falling.
Just over a quarter of registered blind and partially sighted people said they had left their last job due to the onset of sight loss or deterioration of their sight.
But many people tell us that they could have continued in their job given the right support.
What we say
We want to support as many blind and partially sighted people as we can to stay in work, and believe that sight loss should not equal job loss.
Who can we help?
- Employees: we'll support you to remain in your job if you're experiencing difficulties related to sight loss.
- Employers: we advise on how best to support employees with sight loss, and how to make reasonable adjustments to the workplace and work practices.
- Job-seekers: we help you find local organisations who can offer skills assessment, guidance and advice.
- Organisations: advice to pre-employment providers who are supporting blind and partially sighted people to find a job.
How can we help?
- RNIB Scotland’s Employment team provides advice and practical solutions to employers and employees in order to retain blind and partially sighted people in employment.
- We work with employers to encourage positive recruitment policies.
- We work with organisations who deliver employability services to build their knowledge so they can support blind and partially sighted people.
- We provide visual awareness training.
- We advise people with sight loss and their employers on practical solutions to issues at work, including the use of technology.
Let's Work Together
What do you do if one of your employees is losing their sight? Lose them and all the skills, knowledge, experience and relationships they have built up?
Our new information pack - Let's Work Together - explains why sight loss can be less of a problem in the workplace than employers might think. Watch a short Let's Work Together video.
Download the pack: