We’ve been supporting people with sight loss since 1868, when we had our first meeting with just a few people.
Today, we are here to support the almost two million people in Britain who are living with sight loss.
We were founded on 16 October 1868 as the British and Foreign Blind Association for Improving the Embossed Literature of the Blind. The first meeting, at 33 Cambridge Square, London, involved our founder, Dr Armitage (partially sighted), Daniel Conolly (blind), WW Fenn (blind), and Dr James Gale (blind). We have developed and changed much over the years and you can read about this detailed history of RNIB. Here are just some of our key developments.
On 10 March 1869 we became the British and Foreign Blind Association for Improving the Embossed Literature of the Blind and Promoting their Employment. In 1914 the name of our organisation changed to The National Institute for the Blind, or NIB.
Our name was officially changed to the Royal National Institute for the Blind in 1953, having received the Royal Charter in 1949. In 2002 our name changed to the Royal National Institute of Blind People rather than 'for' blind people when we became a Membership organisation.
On 5 May 1870, we adopted braille as the best format for blind people and we published the UK's first key to the braille alphabet and music notation.
However, an official code for braille music, ensuring that everybody was writing music using the same braille systems was not developed for roughly another 60 years.
Other key braille developments include:
Below are just some of the changes that have happened over the years.
Our first official headquarters In 1902 our charity moved from being based in Dr. Armitage's own home at 33 Cambridge Square, London to its first official Headquarters at 206 Great Portland Street. In 1914 we moved to new premises at 224, 226 and 228 great Portland Street.
In 1918 our first "Sunshine Home for Blind Babies" was opened. The first Sunshine Home was opened at Chorleywood, Hertfordshire. Generally these homes looked after blind children between 6 months and 6 years of age.
In 1935 we introduced Talking Books, which is still one of our flagship services.
RNIB's large print newspaper and television listings called "Big Print" was first issued.
In 1995 we launched our first website. It's changed a bit since then! Our Helpline launched in 1997.
You can still call our Helpline on 0303 123 9999 or email [email protected].
We launched our Membership Scheme in August 2002.
Her Majesty Queen Victoria became our first Patron in 1875. Queen Victoria took a great interest in our work and on many occasions used blind scribes provided by us to take down dictation.
We received our Royal Charter in 1948, although our name wouldn't officially include "Royal" for five more years. Find out more about how we are governed.
We are truly honoured today to have Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II as our Patron.
Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most. Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.Donate now