Help with everyday living
This page has practical advice and tips to help you keep doing the things you want and need to do.
Practical changes at home
If you are noticing changes in your eyes or have an eye condition you may find it helpful to adapt your home. Some relatively small changes, such as painting doors in a contrasting colour, can make a big difference to your everyday life. We have helpful information on everything from how to make cooking at home easier, to practical changes you can make around the house.
Keep your love of books alive
If your sight is affecting your reading, we’ve got plenty of solutions to help. Through RNIB, you can access books, newspapers, and magazines in the best format for you – whether that’s digital, audio, or large print. Find out more about RNIB Reading Services.
If you’re worried about your job
We provide support, information, and advice to help you stay in work if you've been diagnosed with an eye condition or experienced a change in your sight. We can help you:
- Understand your rights at work.
- Prepare for conversations with your employer.
- Discover assistive technology you can use at work.
- Navigate the Access to Work scheme.
We can also put you in contact with local organisations offering support in your area.
Support with technology
Technology could help you keep doing the things you love and live your life the way you want. We have lots of information to help, whether you’re just starting out or want more in-depth support.
RNIB's Technology for Life team from our Living With Sight Loss section can support you with:
- Using and setting up your smartphone, tablet, laptop or eReader.
- Discovering accessible technology and devices.
- Making the most of the internet.
- Your questions about using accessible technology.
Making small changes at home
Changes in your sight can make it harder to do everyday things like make a cup of tea, read your post, or set the temperature on the oven.
We've got hundreds of tried-and-tested products to help you maintain your everyday routine. Many of our products have been enjoyed by people living with eye conditions for decades, so you can order with confidence. We also have lots of practical tips and tricks to help you at home, so you can keep doing the things you enjoy.
You can find everything from accessible kitchen equipment, lighting, labelling solutions, stationery, and the newest technology in the RNIB Shop.
Not sure where to start? Why not try:
- Our liquid level indicator, which has been helping people with eye conditions make their morning cuppa for more than 25 years. It’s a small, lightweight device with two metallic probes which indicate two separate liquid levels within a cup or mug by triggering audible and vibratory alerts.
- Bump-ons are self-adhesive rubber dots, providing tactile markings around the home. You can use them to mark settings and functions on your washing machine, buttons on a remote control, settings on an oven or important keys on your computer keyboard.
- A visit to an RNIB Products for Life store, where you can try out products and discover everyday solutions that work for you. You can chat to a product coordinator by phone, video call or by visiting one of our three stores located in Belfast, Edinburgh, and London. Book your appointment.