Pronounced "Wazzazat", this busy town on the edge of the desert, famous for its film studios, lies just south of the High Atlas Mountains. You’ll transfer the short distance to our hotel. Night camp.
- Starts: Saturday, 21 October 2023
- Ends: Wednesday, 25 October 2023
- Event price: £99
- Fundraising pledge: £1800
Join #TeamRNIB for this challenging trek against the backdrop of the awe-inspiring Sahara Desert and help support people living with sight loss.
From flat desert floor scattered with ancient fossils, to perfect wind-blown sand-dunes, this trek is diverse and demanding. The vast, unforgiving desert is a truly beautiful place to discover, while the incredible star-strewn night skies are something you’ll never forget. Accompanied by Berber guides and a small caravan of camels, the remote night camps with campfires and Berber singing are often a real highlight of the trip!
Find out who's helping make this possible
We're working in partnership with Discover Adventure to deliver this incredible challenge. With over 20 years’ experience operating fundraising adventures worldwide, and fully ATOL protected, you can rest assured you’re in safe hands!
What support will you receive?
Join #TeamRNIB and help us support people when they need us most. In return we’ll give you everything you need to smash your running and fundraising goals. You’ll receive from us:
- Expert fundraising advice
- A fundraising pack full of top tips
- An RNIB t-shirt and fundraising materials
- Personalised support from our friendly events team
- Top tips and training advice.
What to expect
After an early breakfast, you’ll load your gear into the waiting vehicles and set off for the desert. The drive takes you over the low mountains of the beautiful Jebel Sarhro and then east, passing the small town of Nekob en-route to characterful Tazzarine, a small oasis town. On arrival at our start point, you’ll have lunch while the cameleers load up the camels, then set off through beautiful landscapes of palm trees and small sand dunes. The group will make camp at the edge of the dunes for the night, enjoying the stunning night skies. Night camp.
Drive approx. 3 hours; trek approx. 3 hours
The full colour of the landscape erupts as the sun rises. Hot coffee and a good breakfast sets the group up for a good day’s trek. We’ll break camp, load the camels and head off along a dry river, passing through small oases and low sand dunes. The views around are amazing, with the colourful Jebel Sarhro mountains to the north, and the startling greenery of the palmery threading its way back towards Tazzerine. Leaving the river bed behind, you’ll head out into the desert hills, walking through sand dunes. You’ll pass occasional small tamarisk trees that manage to flourish in this harsh environment, providing a little shade. Continuing through the small dunes, we come to our camp in a sheltered spot among the hills. Night camp.
Trek approx. 6-8 hours
After another amazing night under the stars we set off on the last section of the route, continuing through the low hills until we emerge in open desert, with inspiring views of the barren mountains around us. The terrain becomes firmer underfoot as you walk over hamada, or desert floor, until we reach the small, remote town of Taghbalt. The group will meet our waiting transport and return to Ouarzazate for an evening of celebrations. Night hotel.
Trek approx. 4 hours; drive approx. 3 hours
An early transfer takes us to the airport, and we fly home.
- Sign up and pay a £99 registration fee to reserve your place
- Commit to a sponsorship pledge of £1,800
- Send 80 per cent of your Sponsorship (£1,440) to RNIB 10 weeks before your event start date to confirm your place
- All transport from London to Ouarzazate return
- All meals except where specified, accommodation and camping equipment
- Discover Adventure leaders; doctor with group of 15 or more participants; local guides and cooks, camels, cameleers and drivers
- Vehicle support and back-up equipment
- Entry to any sites visited as part of the itinerary
- Airline taxes All return transport to and from.