This data tool provides information about blind and partially sighted people and those at risk of sight loss at a local level throughout the UK.
Download the latest version of our Sight Loss Data Tool
The RNIB’s Sight Loss Data Tool is the UK’s biggest collection of eye health datasets. The product collates a wide range of publically available datasets and allows users to view local area data easily in one of three different automated reports. The full report tells a tailored story about the local area; custom tables allow users to compare data for up to ten national or local areas; and the benchmarking report shows users how local areas compare to their region and nation, across a set of key indicators.
In the data tool, you can find information by local authority, region or country including:
- The estimated number of people living with severe sight loss
- Projected change in sight threatening eye conditions over the next 15 years
- The number of ophthalmology appointments in local NHS Trusts
- The number of working age people registered blind
The Sight Loss Data Tool was downloaded approximately 4,000 times in 2015. It is a vital evidence source for a wide range of organisations in the sight loss sector and supports activities such as campaigning, service improvement and securing funding.
New data in Version 3.2
- UK wide living with sight loss estimates for 2016 based on new prevalence data.
- 2014/15 CVI data for England and Wales
- Estimates for the prevalence of leading eye diseases in the UK for 2016
- Updated ECLO location data for hospitals and NHS Trusts in Scotland and England
- The latest general labour market statistics including unemployment rate and the employment gap experienced by people with long term disabilities.
- A range of updated datasets in the area profile including smoking prevalence.
Schedule of updates
This Sight Loss Data Tool will undergo minor updates and will be re-published every three months. The next planned update is due to be published on week commencing 23 January 2017.
Why this data is useful
Our Sight Loss Data Tool supports the work of the UK Vision Strategy and RNIB. It is available for you to use free of charge.
One key activity supported via the Sight Loss Data Tool is building an evidence base for health commissioning. Each local authority is responsible for maintaining a Joint Strategic Needs Assessment (JSNA), which reports on the health and wellbeing needs of local people. It also looks ahead at emerging challenges and projected need in the future.
We want to make sure the needs of blind and partially sighted people and those at risk of sight loss are taken into account in these planning documents.
By providing robust evidence on sight loss and those at risk of sight loss at a local level, the data tool can also support a range of other activities such as:
- marketing and communications
- service and strategic planning
We believe that providing good evidence at a local level is important and we plan to further develop this Sight Loss Data Tool in the future. If you have any feedback or suggestions about how we can improve this resource please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.